Tuesday, October 28, 2014

Is There To Much TV to Watch?

I was taking inventory of the TV programs I watch, and even though I say I am going to cut back, I am still at 100 plus shows I keep up with through out the year. No matter how much I stop watching this or that program, I am still watching many TV shows. You know what I am not doing? I am not reading, which I think is sad because reading requires discipline and TV requires nothing but for you to sit on your favorite chair or couch and eat drink and watch TV and go to the bath room during commercial breaks. If your watching TV with Netflix then you may need to push the stop button to go to the bathroom.

On my twitter feed I have been posting a lot about pre-production of countless shows and TV projects coming to our TV screen soon, and they all sound great, but how would I even think about putting some of them on my watch list? My DVR is already over loaded with shows the family watches, and then the other two DVR's are getting full. I get upset when one of my favorites gets canceled. I should be grateful so that I can fit another one on my rotation. But no I join a fan protest on Twitter.

That's not the worst of it!

Many times you will find actors doing guest spots on different shows and their acting roles are very different and instead of just enjoying the story I become a over critical critic. I find my self of thinking about each role they play and forget about the story I am watching. I mean I am watching the TV story because of the story right?

Then there is the ratings, different networks have different standards. Numbers that are great for one network are a nightmare for another. AMC's The Walking Dead is the most popular show on TV with 17 Million + viewers per episode, if that program dropped to 10 million, I don't think they would cancel the show, but would they panic and start making stupid changes? How many people have to watch a TV show to make a TV executive happy with all the competition now on TV?  In 2013 TNT's Dallas season ratings where 4 million 2014 it dropped to 2 million but did not include delayed viewing and TNT canceled the show.

So if they are not considering delayed viewing, Are networks more worried about the sponsor then the viewer?  Viewers do not like commercials.

Bottom line is viewers will not watch TV when TV networks and sponsors want them to and not every great TV show is going to get high ratings, but that does not mean they are bad.

No comments:

Post a Comment