Friday, February 17, 2017

MOVIE REVIEW: The Great Wall

RELEASE DATE:February 17, 2017


DIRECTOR: Yimou Zhang

MAIN CAST: Matt Damon, Tian Jing, Willem Dafoe



IMDB Story Line

European mercenaries searching for black powder become embroiled in the defense of the Great Wall of China against a horde of monstrous creatures.

WHAT I LIKED

I have always loved monster movies, especially Godzilla, or anything that destroys Tokyo, Japan, I like Asian Horror movies, Asian Karate movies and Movies like Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon and the list goes on so I think you get the idea.

This movie was all that combined, and it felt like a great war epic. I was very happy with the action and flow of the story. It was not so much about The Great Wall as it was walls that we face in life. It had drama. In the past I have been a harsh critic of Matt Damon's acting, But Martian was the last movie I watched with him and he was awesome in both of them. I did have issues with the Martin, but it was not his acting. I felt in both movies he was not as stiff as he was in previous movies. 

The action and and epic scale of the movie was awesome and I am so glad I did not wait for the DVD, this movie was made for the big screen. Just over all and very enjoyable.

WHAT I DID NOT LIKE

The only problem I had with the movie, is as vicious as the monsters were I wish they would have explained how they knew what they knew about the monsters, It seemed to be missing a fuller explanation not that we needed a full origin of the beast, but just something to connect the dots they gave us.

SIDE NOTES:

I went to see the movie at Cinemark and I am very happy I did as I said earlier. I will most likely buy the DVD, I did not see the 3D version, but this would have been a good movie to see in 3D. The movie was rated PG-13, it was very violent, but I would not consider it gory. It could be a family movie depending on your family standards, even with the my dis-likes I gave this movie a 10 on the IMDB scale because I just over all liked the movie.     

No comments:

Post a Comment