Saturday, June 16, 2018

NETFLIX DOCUMENTARY: The Staircase (Episodes 1-8)

RELEASE DATE June 8th 2018


DIRECTOR:  Jean-Xavier de Lestrade



IMDB SUMMARY:
American novelist, Michael Peterson, who was convicted of murdering his wife in 2003, is granted a new trial in 2017.

POSSIBLE SPOLIERS

I have watched the first 8 episodes of the series and I have been back and forth of my opinion, and as of episode 7 I believe he is innocent. While Michael Peterson seems a bit odd, lets remember that he is or was a novelist and a successful one at that. You have to have a imagination to write good novels. I am sure your mind has to go places that we can not imagine except when we are reading novels of great writers. 

I watched as the defense prepped and worked the trial. I truly believe they where working a uphill battle. After the OJ Simpson murder trial in 1995, I feel courtrooms around America made celebrities the enemy, and they felt forced to find celebrities guilty after the OJ Circus with Judge Lance Ito and both sides of the prosecution and defense. I believe OJ was guilty but that was a messed up trial.

And lets be clear, I am not found of  celebrities right now because of what seems to be a strong hatred of President Trump. I really support and like President Trump. But that does not mean that celebrities are all dangerous to the country, maybe some, but not all. We all have strong opinions and dark secrets and fantasies, but that does not make a person a murderer. But that is what the prosecution used to build the case.

I do not believe in the evidence that the prosecution presented, I really thought it was weak, but the judge in my opinion played favoritism to the Prosecution and a wrong verdict was delivered.
In episode 6 "The Prosecution's revenge you started to witness the defense facing the reality  that they where going to lose.

I have only watched the first 8 episodes, so I am not sure how I will feel after I watch the last 5 episodes, when the case is reopened after Michael spent a few years in jail and reaches a plea deal. So watch for part to of this post.

No comments:

Post a Comment