Monday, September 1, 2014

What is in a Series Final Episode?

We often hear of one of our favorite series ending it's run. Most of our favorite shows that survived the ratings have that final episode. Some fans are upset that their favorite shows don't go on forever. While I am sad to see some of my shows go, I am glad they are ending it while the story is strong. nothing is worse then when your show has run out of imagination and it's canceled. But there are shows networks did not give a fare chance to grow with the audience and then get the ax, no final episode, but just gone.

By my question today is what makes a good final episode?

The NBC's 1994 Comedy sitcom Friends, it had a ten year run and went out with a great ending for the fans. To me it was a big thank you and good buy to the fans that stuck around and supported the show for ten years.

Here is a clip





My next favorite but not fan favorite is ABC's Drama/Syfy?Fantasy LOST, because for six seasons it kept us lost. Every time you thought you knew what happened, just to find out you did not, you was lost. I mean how else could this end? I thought the writers ended this in a perfect way. What it means to me may not mean the same to you, I thought it was awesome it ended the way it began. Jack opens his eyes in the first episode and Jack closes his eyes in the finale.

Here is a clip



There is one show that has a favorite farewell and I am sorry to say I never watched every episode, and that was CBS comedy M.A.S.H. The show had a 11 year run and for many fans it was like saying goodbye to family. I did watch the finale episode just last year. That is right, 30 years after this show ended, I watched the last episode.

Here is a clip



Just recently True Blood on HBO ended and fans where truly unhappy. I guess I can understand that. The writers went with a everyone is happy and life goes on. Come on , can life in Bon Temps Louisiana ever be normal?.But that is the choice they went with. And why did they kill bill off? Bill should have lived. I think they could have done better, I could not find a good clip of the final scene to share, so here is the trailer for the final season




 The 1999-2006 NBC political Drama The West Wing. I don't care what political party you side your self with, I would vote for a President Josiah 'Jed" Bartlet. This Drama cover the most of the first term and the whole 2 term. It had a perfect finale, I am not sure if it was better then MASH, but it was complete. it was what every finale should be modeled after. Life did go on but Barlet's story was over and his staff moved on.

Here is a clip



In all, my question to the viewing audience is what is a perfect last episode and can the series your are addicted to have that satisfying ending. When a series runs it's course is there anymore to be said? Do we expect to much from writers. One aspect of a show I am always afraid of is it was all a dream. Fans have suggested the the Zombie Apocalypse in the AMC 2010 popular Drama/Syfy is a dream and is all in Rick Grimes head. I truly hope that, I would hate that type of a ending and don't want to see it end that way.
However back in 1990 the 1982 show Newhart ended it's run with a dream, and for me it worked. Do you remember the 1972 Bob Newhart Show. I end this post with that final clip


No comments:

Post a Comment