Saturday, September 20, 2014

The Walking Dead Vs Z Nation: PLEASE SHUT UP!

Well there is a new Zombie series on SyFy Cable network called Z Nation, and while it may have a few short comings it's not that bad of a show. No it's not the same as The Walking Dead. However there is a very vocal debate on the social media outlets calling it blasphemy to watch Z Nation if your a Walking Dead fan. OH PLEASE! I am a fan of TV shows and what I chose to watch is my business. If the quality of Z Nation was anything close to what The Walking has given us, people would be swearing they copied the show. It is still a free country and we are free to watch and like what we want till they cancel the show. 

For those of us that have forgotten, not everyone's imagination is not the same as mine or yours. I welcome new story ideals and shows. Look how many popular detective shows are out there, and fantasy/horror is finally getting a hold on main stream TV. OK, some may be not so well written, I get that. I lose interest myself in some shows, but I don't lose interest in a detective show because I am a fan of the popular CBS franchise C.S.I

Lets not forget that the 1966 soap opera Dark Shadows on ABC is the one that started the ball rolling on Fantasy/horror TV series. Networks have been competing with networks for decades. Networks have tried and failed to copy a genre over and over again. Look at the ABC Network 2004 series LOST, how many times have other networks tried to copy that ideal of you never really know whats going on in the show?

You always knew where a network got the inspiration for a series, but really never cared. I always give a new show a chance. If I liked it I watched it, if I did not I changed the channel. But TV is not religion.I don't stop watching a cop show on NBC because they have a cop show on CBS, so I will not stop watching a Zombie show on SyFy because I  like the one on AMC more. I have never heard such backlash on a TV series since 1981, when ABC premiered night time series Dynasty to compete with CBS 1978 series Dallas, and that was before the internet and social media.

What we could do with out is all this reality TV programming like Honey Boo Boo, Jersey Shore and Keeping up with the Kardashians. However they do have a audience, but I chose not to watch. But that is my choice. I just don't want that to be the only choices on TV. 

No comments:

Post a Comment