Monday, May 25, 2015

American Sniper: A Portrait of Rememberance

Last night I watched the 2014 Movie "American Sniper" for the first time. It was directed by Clint Eastwood staring Bradley Cooper as Americas most deadly hero and the military's best sniper ever Chris Kyle, Sienna Miller stared as his wife Taya.

This is not about how the acting or directing was, as always my so called movie reviews is what the movie said to me as I let myself step into the story being told. To experience the vision of the writer and director that created the movie. Chris Kyle is the writer of the book the movie is based on

There is nothing that don't sound more cliche then to say that war is intense. I don't think any movie no matter how well directed can clearly give a true feeling of war. War movies have got better at giving you a visual of the surroundings, but you are not there. Even when we are watching the news video of gun battles and fire fights, We are still comfortable at home with our chips and drink looking at the screen saying how sad. Video games give you a simulation but dead is dead. Once you are shot or wounded there is no running to a corner and waiting to get better.

However American Sniper was about Chris Kyle's journey and that was described in detail. Because of past life experience that I have had to deal with, I could relate to some of what Chris was feeling, but again I am not Chris, I was not there. I am trying to say that the movie was very clear in letting us know when Chris was in pain. I felt ashamed when I was watching and would say this is intense or I know what he is feeling, because I did not really know.

No movie has ever given me that feeling of how I as a American citizen take advantage of the freedoms that our American Soldiers provide for us at the cost of the blood they spill. This movie hit me in the heart a little more then usual.

I did not read the book, but I knew the tragedy of what happen to Chris Kyle on February 2nd 2013 when I watched the movie. When I seen him on that roof top in Iraq calling his wife telling her that he was ready to really come home and stay, I felt the tears start welling up. When I saw the date of February 2nd 2013 appear on the screen I knew what was going on. My heart began to ache as I watched him hug the kids and hug his wife. Then she shut the door as he got in a truck with a veteran he was trying to help. The look she had on her face as if she knew it was the last time she would see him alive.

When I seen the funeral procession that was in Texas my tears started to flow, and there was no holding them back.

Back in August 2005 in a period of 3 days 20 Marines  died. 6 by small arms fire and 14 from a explosion in Barwana Iraq, They where all from 3rd Battalion 25th in Brookpark Ohio, a few days later I went to the memorial service they had at the IX Center in Brookpark, Ohio. There was no funeral procession, but there where make shift memorials. The fence at the 3/25 was covered in American Flags, flowers, signs, cards, teddy bears etc. Yellow ribbons where every where. I took my son to the memorial service and we walked what seemed like a procession.

I was at that memorial service, so I have a good ideal what Chris Kyle's funeral was like. For a brief moment I felt like I was there watching the funeral of Chris Kyle, I felt like I was there.

Can you imagine what it is like for a soldier who has a flash back of war?


No comments:

Post a Comment