Sunday, May 17, 2015

Before Interstellar a Movie Called Contact

One of my favorite movies for 2014 was Interstellar staring Matthew McConaughey. It was a movie that opened my imagination and made me ask the what if question. How would I feel being my age and know that my child is going to die of old age because I went to another dimension and came back to my normal time line? You may have a better description of what happen in the movie but that is just one of many questions and how I understood the movie.


But before Interstellar there was a 1997 movie called called Contact staring Jodie Foster as Dr Ellie Arroway who takes a interstellar trip of her own. To her the trip seemed like hours but it was only minutes according to the authorities. Matthew McConaughey played Rev Palmer Joss and for the most part he was like the reluctant moral conscience to Ellie who did not believe in God.

After Ellie returns from her trip there are hearings on Capitol Hill to ask the question: Did indeed Ellie leave the planet? There is a statement she makes to the Senate hearing panel.


 "I was given something wonderful. Something that changed me. A vision of the universe that made it overwhelmingly clear just how tiny and insignificant -- and at the same time how rare and precious we all are. A vision... that tells us we belong to something greater than ourselves... that we're not -- that none of us -- is alone."

Think about that just for a moment.

As a society we have micro managed ourselves into a corner to a point that it is all most impossible to think outside of the box, and if we think outside the box to much we can get medication for it. Even modern day Christians have done the same. Let me be clear, I believe in God and the words written in the Bible exactly as they where written because of faith. People say it is a old book but it survived world wars and the tortured history of mankind. I do not believe that happen by chance.

I also believe that dinosaurs roamed the earth, but there is no mention of them in the Bible. What else is not in the Bible? Aliens? I don't know, it's just a question. For me God and the Bible is my foundation. But I do have a imagination and I do allow myself to ask what if?

I find it strange how the movies are almost at the opposite end of the question. Interstellar does not find aliens but more questions about love and the human condition while Contact test our faith and ask can we believe in something bigger then ourselves.

There was also another big statement in the movie Contact.

"So If it's just us ......Seems like a awful waste of space"






 

No comments:

Post a Comment