Tuesday, July 7, 2015

How Does Watching Horror Movies Affect Your Mind and makes you change your underwear?


The other day I was watching a repeat of "The Walking Dead" and thought to myself are horror fans desensitized to zombies or are we suspicious of everything? Have horror TV programs and movies made us ready for anything because of the fictional reality and believable situations they feed our mind? There was something about the old black and white shows that came out in the fifties that would just freak you out. I remember the first time I saw the 1960 Classic "Little Shops of Horrors" and that little ugly potted plant said feed me. I ran to the corner of my bed room and hid. it scared the living snot out of me.

I was freaked out at just the thought of something like could happen. When the movie ended I carefully turned the TV off and went and got myself a glass of milk. We had potted plants in the house and I swear they looked at me from that point on. The 1986 remake staring Rick Moranis entertained me, but did not have the same effect. It did not challenge my imagination.

The first time I saw a zombie movie was "Night of the Living Dead" from 1968. I was addicted to zombies from that day on. But as movie quality got better, I was less scared, It was like I was ready for the undead ,   Or was I? I still have nightmares about a Zombie Apocalypse. Walking Dead still gives me a chill, but I am more into the drama. If a favorite character gets killed by one, I get tense. But it depends on how it happens. When Dale got killed in "The Walking Dead" Episode "Better Angles" That got to me, that was a creepy episode. It's when the Walker comes out of no where and grabs you. Same with horror movie or shows, it's when the horror hit's you before you know you have been hit.



I think movies like  the remake of the 1982 Poltergeist this year, The Paranormal Activity series that started in 2007 and 2010 Insidious movies, 2013 Conjuring series including 2014 Annabelle they are working on the surprise factor again. Alfred Hitchcock once talked about this in a interview. It is to make the audience forget about the danger in the room because of the drama of the people. Sound familiar? The Walking Dead famous line "Kill The Dead, Fear The Living". Think about it. The Walking Dead has more drama and problems with the living then the Dead. If it was not for the Governor Rick and his gang would have kept the prison. But that would have killed the show and then it would be boring. And what about Carl killing his mom before she turned.

How do we define what is scary and what is boring? What scares you may make someone else laugh. Clowns scare me to death, they make children laugh.

 Do you remember the 1978 movie Phantasm? I was more afraid of  the funeral home then the silver ball, and that big tall guy just freaked me out and I still don't know what the movie was about.


I don't know, it's just not a horror movie unless I am traumatized and have to think about changing my underwear.

No comments:

Post a Comment