Saturday, March 4, 2017

MOVIE REVIEW: The Haunting (1999)

RELEASE DATE: July 23rd, 1999



DIRECTOR: Jan de Bont

MAIN CAST: Liam Nelson. Catherine Zeta Jones, Owen Wilson


IMDB Story Line

When Eleanor, Theo, and Luke decide to take part in a sleep study at a huge mansion they get more than they bargained for when Dr. Marrow tells them of the house's ghostly past.

WHAT I LIKED

Regardless of my over all opinion, the movie had a lot of strong qualities. The big house was the real star of the house. The mystery of it's over all floor plan was amazing. The green house, the mirror carousel and all of the statues and grand scale of the house was awesome. 

The movie had a over all good strong plot and story line. The visual effects where well done, it had a great cast. Lili Taylor (Nell) was the strongest part of the movie but was not listed as a lead cast member according to IMDB. I felt she had a stronger lead then the three listed.

WHAT I DID NOT LIKE

With all the great qualities of the movie it was not put together well. While you had a great cast it was as if the screenplay was not written right. It did not bring forth their best acting talents. Some parts where to over written. While the part of Mrs Dudley talking about the dark was amusing , it seemed to funny. The trailer mislead you into thinking this was a dark scary ghost movie movie, it did have the elements but did not deliver the goose bumps. I expected more from director Jan de Bont who gave us such great movies like " Die Hard (1988) The Hunt for Red October (1990) and Basic Instinct (1992)



SIDE NOTES: 

I seen the movie at the theater, and I am glad I did . It was a fun family day and we did over all enjoy the movie and I did buy the DVD. It was solid entertainment and the scope of the house made it big screen worthy. Depending on your family standards I can recommend it as a family movie. It was rated PG-13 which I think it could have been PG. I gave the movie a 6 out of 10 on the IMDB Scale  

No comments:

Post a Comment